USA Cycling Regional Talent ID Camps are for athletes racing age 14 to 22 years of age and who are at least 14 years old at the start of the camp. The attendees should have some racing experience. See below for specific requirements.
The primary goal of the Talent ID Camp is to recognize athletes who, at an early age, show signs of potential future success in cycling. Receiving instruction from some of USA Cycling’s finest coaches, the camps also provide the necessary framework to improve the athletes skill set thus progressing their talent development. In some cases, the Regional Talent ID Camps assist in selecting riders for international competition and/or a national development camp.
|Camp Location||Manager||Dates||Type of Camp|
|Colorado State University (Ft. Collins, CO)||Jon Heidemann||June 2-7||Road|
|St. Edwards U (Austin, TX)||Dave Wenger||June 9-14||Road|
|Furman University (Greenville, SC)||Richard Dunn||June 9-14||Road|
|Northern AZ U (Flagstaff, AZ)*||Barney King||June 9-14||Road Selection|
|Northern AZ University (Flagstaff, AZ)||Barney King||June 16-21||Road|
|Colorado College (Colorado Springs, CO)||Ryan Kohler||June 14-19||MTB|
|Garrett College (McHenry, MD)||Kristen Dieffenbach||June 24-29||MTB|
|DeSales U (Center Valley, PA)||Ray Ignosh||June 24-29||Road|
|Finger Lakes Community College (Canandaigua, NY)||Todd Scheske||July 9-14||Road|
|St Mary’s College (Moraga, CA)||Larry Nolan||July 14-19||Road|
|Pacific University (Forest Grove, OR)||Jim Anderson||July 28-Aug 2||Road|
|Univ of Wisconsin (LaCrosse, WI)||Lowell Kellogg||July 28-Aug 2||Road|
|St. Mary’s (Sewanee, TN)||Mark Fasczewski||July 28-Aug 2||Road|
Registration for the USA Cycling Regional Talent ID Camps is now available. To register for a camp, sign in to your USA Cycling account and click on the “Register for an Event” button. There you will find all the camps listed for online registration. Please keep in mind the June 9-14 Flagstaff Camp is a selection camp and open only to 17-18 cat 3 and above junior male athletes. Registration for each camp closes one week prior to the start of each camp.
* The June 9-14 camp in Flagstaff is a USA Cycling Tour de l’Abitibi Selection Camp, open to junior males racing age 17-18 who hold a USAC racing license of cat 3 or above. A team of six will be selected from the camp to participate in the 2013 Tour De l’Abitibi. This team will have their team entry paid by USA Cycling, but additional costs such as airfare, vehicle rental, and staff compensation will be the responsibility of the selected riders. If participation warrants, a second team may be selected although no financial compensation will be provided by USAC. This selection camp will be limited to 24 riders. For more info contact Barney King at email@example.com or by phone at 602-410-4358.
How to Qualify Automatically for the USA Cycling Development Camps:
Please note that qualification procedures may change for 2013. Consider the following a guide only.
Road and Cross Country Mountain Bike:
To ensure the safety of all camp participants and to maximize the learning opportunities for all, there is a minimum standard of on-the-bike competency that all camp participants must satisfy. Road camps are available to athletes that are at least 14 years old on the day the camp starts and no older than racing age 22. Cross-country mountain bike camps will be limited to riders who are at least 14 years old on the day the camp begins and no older than racing age 18. Athletes that are automatically eligible to participate in the camps meet one or more of the following standards contingent on space being available in the desired camp:
- Participated in the 2012 or prior Regional Camp program.
- Carry a valid 2013 collegiate racing license (men, D, C, or B and women, C or B) and are under the racing age of 21 in 2013. (Exception would be cross country mountain bike camps).
- Finish in the top-5 in a USA Cycling Road Devopment Race Series race (15/16 or 17/18 category) since June 1, 2011. Athletes 14 years old must qualify through the 15/16 category. Results in the 13/14 category will not be counted.
- Finish in the top-5 in an ADJRS race (Category 2, 15/16 or 17/18 category) since June 1, 2012. Athletes that are 14 years old must qualify through the 15/16 category. Results in the 13/14 category will not be counted.
- Finish in the top-10 in the Road Race, Time Trial, or Criterium event at the 2012 or 2013 Junior National Road Cycling Championships. 13/14, 15/16, and 17/18 results will be considered
- Finish in the top-10 in the Cross Country at the 2012 Junior Mountain Bike National Championships in the 13/14, 15/16 or 17/18 age groups in category 2.
- For Road Camps, athletes must carry a current USA Cycling racing license as a minimum Category 4 and be at least age 14 on the day of the camp. For MTB camps, athletes must carry a current USA Cycling racing license as a minimum Category 3 and be at least age 14 on the day of the camp.
- Represented the United States in international competition in 2012
If you do not meet the automatic qualification standards, you can petition the camp manager to be admitted into the camp. Please send an email (click on the camp manager’s name in the table above) listing your race results and reasons that you should be allowed in the camp. For instance, if your area has no USA Cycling Road Development Race Series or ADJRS races, you should include that information.
Some financial aid for the development camps is available from the USA Cycling Development Foundation Travel and Training Grant program.
Camps range from $750-$950*, depending on the camp and time of registration.
|Type of Camp||Early||Regular||Late|
|>90 days out||30-90 days out||<30 days out|
Refunds for cancellations will be issued according to the following schedule. The refund period is based on the first day of the camp for which you are registered.
14 days or fewer, no refund
15-30 days, 25% refund
31-60 days, 50% refund
61 or more days, 75% refund
After registration, if the rider decides to change camps, a $100 change fee will be instituted. If USA Cycling cancels a camp, riders can change camps with no penalty or receive a refund. To change camps please contact the Athlete Development Director.
*The June 9-14 Flagstaff camp cost ranges from $800-$950 as this is a USA Cycling Tour de l’Abitibi Selection Camp
This webinar, presented by USA Cycling Junior Programs Manager Benjamin Sharp, provides information about the USA Cycling Athlete Development Camps Program. This is an audio/video file that is a recording of the webinar that was presented February 10, 2009. Topics discussed include: camp mission, where camps fit in the USAC pathway, qualification standards, petition process, sample schedule, field testing information, etc. Please note that some information may be out of date.
If you have any questions, please contact the Coaching Education and Athlete Development Director at USA Cycling. For specific questions about the Rocky Mountain MTB Camp, please contact the Camp Manager.